Opening hours: Access is by University (proximity) card only. You will need to get a University card and to get that card activated you will need to see Pharmacology IT dept.
Out of working hours: All members of the department working out of hours MUST sign the book at either the front or the back door, giving time of arrival, room number and, on leaving, time of departure.
Toilets: there are toilets at the near end of every corridor, and a disabled access toilet. There is also a shower facility.
The Library: is open access (only during term time) from 1.30 - 4pm, outside of those hours, and outside of term, the Library is proximity card access only.
Seminar Room and Meeting Room: are communal facilities for meetings/interviews etc, (book in advance - contact Virginia).
Tea room/food machine (Level 4): The Tea room never closes. There is a machine that dispenses hot drinks, sachets can be bought at the counter. Tea and coffee are served 10am–12pm & 3-4pm – otherwise self-service, it is NOT FREE. There is a snacks machine (chocolate/crisps/coke etc). A sandwich van calls at around 11 each day announcing its arrival with a novelty horn (Colonel Bogey); it parks by the back door, alternatively hot food is available in the canteen in Biotechnology (access by joining door).
Computing/printing: The Department has clear rules on the use of computers. We charge for printing currently 2p/side. A Computer Room (Level 4) (communal computers/scanners) is available on card access.
Photocopying: copiers are situated in the corridor to the Library. Access to them is via an ID code (Contact Barney/Roger).
Telephones: Phone use above a limit (£10/month in Labs) will be charged to the user.
Post: incoming post is sorted to the pigeon-holes in the Tea Room on Level 4. There is an internal (University wide) mailing system (UMS) with, normally, 2 deliveries/collections a day - morning and afternoon.
Recycling: we have recycling systems for batteries (take to stores), tin cans, plastic bottles (boxes inside the tea room) and paper/glossy paper (green bins at various points around the building). Glass and cardboard are also recycled – please ‘collapse’ boxes so that they can be disposed of efficiently.
Lecture Theatre: has a booking diary (Conatct Virginia).
Stores and ordering: stores is open from 9-1 & 2-4 Mon – Thurs and Fri 9-1 only. All goods ordered will enter the Dept via the stores. The stores carries a limited stock. Ordering is done in the Accounts office where orders should be taken for dispatch (before 12 for same day ordering).
Communal research facilities include:
- Coldrooms: there is a coldroom on each of Levels 3 & 4. These are communal facilities with pre- allocated space.
- Tissue Culture Rooms: these are situated on Levels 2 & 3 and are for communal use with a number of microbiological cabinets and incubators.
- Centifuges: 2 ultracentrifuges, 2 high speed centrifuges and associated rotors; two glasswashers.
- Autoclaves: there is a large autoclave in the classroom that can be used for the sterilization of large amounts of material. There is a 40L autoclave in TC Level 3 and two smaller bench autoclaves.
- Plate reader, Gel Imager, Nanospectrophotometer, gel cutter and Freeze dryer and a cryostat.
- Darkroom: there is a darkroom for general use.
- Scintillation counters: we have three beta counters and a gamma counter .
- liquid nitrogen cryostores and communal –80 Freezers in which groups have pre-allocated space.
- There are 3 shaking incubators normally running at 37°, for growing bacteria in liquid culture.