You should apply for admission to the University using the University’s online APPLICANT PORTAL if you:
- wish to apply for University-wide funding competitions (eg Gates, Cambridge Overseas & Commonwealth Trusts, Cambridge Home and EU Scholarships etc – see funding deadlines above.
- wish to apply for a College studentship
- have an external scholarship; or
- have your own funding.
BEFORE YOU COMPLETE AN APPLICATION, READ THE FOLLOWING:
NB each application made using a APPLICANT PORTAL will cost you £50. (applicants from some countries may have this fee waived, see http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply/application-fee)
A. Are you eligible to apply for admission to our programmes?
Competition for admission to the University of Cambridge graduate programme is intense. Like all departments in the Graduate School, we require all our graduate entrants to have:
- at least a 2.1 in an Honours degree or equivalent (eg CGPA 3.5/4.0) in a relevant subject
- two outstanding references from senior University staff at your most recent University
fluency in the English language – recent IELTS test with an overall band score of at least 7.0 with not less than 7.0 in speaking, listening and writing, and 6.5 in reading. See www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/competence-english/will-i-have-language-requirement
B. Which qualification do you want to apply for?
- MPhil by research (thesis): Code BLPHM1 (1 year)
- PhD (thesis) Code BLPH22 (minimum 3 years, maximum 4 full-time)
- The BBSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD course code is BLBB22
C. What topic do you want to study and which supervisor do you want to work with ?
The APPLICANT PORTAL requires you to choose a course – for research applicants this means specifying which department or institute in which you wish to work.
To choose a department, you need to do some serious homework to identify a topic and one or more supervisors in the department with whom you wish to work.
If you have not already decided on the Department of Pharmacology, you should:
- Look at the abstracts of projects for 2016 www.phar.cam.ac.uk/postgraduate/abstracts and also get in contact with the principal Investigator (PI) concerned (contact details can be found in individual PIs research pages)
- Browse the web pages of the PIs that are of interest to you to check details of their research http://www.phar.cam.ac.uk/research
- If you are interested in more than one supervisor within THIS department, you can name them as first and second choice in your application, but if you want to apply to supervisors in different departments, you will have to make separate applications (one to each department). NB each application will cost £50
(applicants from some countries may have this fee waived, see http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply/application-fee).
D. How to apply to the University
Go to www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply for full instructions on how to apply online.