skip to content

Department of Pharmacology



The Department of Pharmacology offers two postgradute programmes:

All applications for postgraduate study are made through the University’s online Postgraduate Applicant Portal.

You can find generic information about the application process and funding opportunities on the Postgraduate Admissions website, including some useful frequently asked questions (FAQs) relevant to postgraduate admission.


FAQs about postgraduate admissions in Pharmacology


Am I eligible to apply for admission to your programmes?

Competition for admission to the University of Cambridge postgraduate programme is intense.

Like all departments in the Postgraduate School, we require all our postgraduate entrants to have:

  • at least a 2.1 in an Honours degree or equivalent (e.g. CGPA 3.5/4.0) in a relevant subject
  • two outstanding references from senior university staff at your most recent university
  • fluency in the English language – recent IELTS test with an overall band score of at least 7.0 with not less than 7.0 in speaking, listening and writing, and 6.5 in reading.

If you are unsure, you can find more information about the English language requirement and international qualifications.

Which qualifications can I apply for?

MPhil in Biological Science (Pharmacology) (1 year): code BLPHM1.

PhD in Pharmacology (minimum 3 years, maximum 4 full-time): code BLPH22.

BBSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD: code BLBB22.

How do I find a topic to study and a supervisor to work with?

The Postgraduate Applicant Portal requires you to choose a course – for research applicants this means specifying which department or institute you wish to work in.

To choose a department, you need to do some serious homework to identify a topic and one or more supervisors in the department with whom you wish to work.

If you have already decided on the Department of Pharmacology, you should:

If you are interested in more than one supervisor within THIS department, you can name them as first and second choice in your application, but if you want to apply to supervisors in different departments, you will have to make separate applications (one to each department).


Important Note

Our recent records suggest that applications without any supervisor's name specified often get rejected. Likewise, applications with supervisor name(s) specified but with no prior consultation with the named supervisor(s) tend to be unsuccessful.

Therefore, we STRONGLY suggest that you consult with a potential supervisor before you submit your application, to maximise the chance of your success. The supervisor can also provide you with valuable guidance to make the application and to improve the chance of funding.

How do I apply to the University?

You can find full instructions about the application process and funding opportunities on the Postgraduate Admissions website, including some useful frequently asked questions (FAQs) relevant to postgraduate admission.

What will my tuition fees cost?

You can find information about fees for full-time and part-time study on the Postgraduate Admissions website.

How do I apply for funding for my studies?

You can find comprehensive information about funding on the Postgraduate Admissions website.

To search for funding opportunities that may be available to you use the Funding Search Tool with appropriate filters.

If you do wish to be considered for funding, you must complete the relevant section of the Applicant Portal in full for your funding application to be considered.

Please note that admissions decisions are taken independently of funding decisions, and there can be separate deadlines for applying for funding. There can be separate deadlines for applications and funding for candidates from the USA.

Does the Pharmacology Department offer any funding?

Research Studentships to study for the PhD degree are awarded on a competitive basis and supported by the research councils, medical research charities, industrial sponsors and by University schemes.

In addition to these funding opportunities, the Department may also offer studentships, including the David James Studentship.

Enquiries can also be made by email to (or directly to the proposed supervisor in the case of specific queries about projects offered).